Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Her opinions on Life, Universe and Everything

 

This is the best picture of her that I like.  And of me too!

She is the only person I know of who believes in a malicious god who likes to get incompatible people married together!  

Many people know that she is a perfectionist but only those close to her who have endured it know what that means.  I remember Babu telling this story about going to T.Nagar to get some towels with her and Babu found some nice towels but she objected saying that the annam on the border design was too fat.  The next day Babu went without her and got towels with frogs on the border that definitely would not have passed muster 😀.  As I was thinking about her personality, I was reflecting on how as children we internalize what we see our parents do so deeply ourselves.  So, the next time she asks why my furniture is taking so long to make, I know what answer to give 😜.  

There's a macabre side to her that people might not know - from a very young age I remember her asking me, "What will you do if I die?"  Initially I ignored it.  And then out of exasperation I said, "I will cremate you."  And she says, "No, no, that will hurt." 😄  For the past year, she has had a lot of pain in her legs and the discussion often turns to how to get Yama to come soon.  I suggested making bajji for him and she did make it once and said, "He doesn't seem to like bajji."  

Once the network was down and she kept getting the "Server not found" error and she turns to me and says, "Unga appa serverkku tip kodukkalai polairukku!" (a waiter is also called server in India). 

She is very good at jugaad to fix broken things.  I remember when the rivets on the best knife in the kitchen broke, I looked at the rivet set I had and they were too thick to go through the stainless steel and the drill bits I had would make no impression on it and I declared that it could not be fixed.  She took some copper wire and threaded it through and continued using it 😁.  She used to say that Rangaswami thatha used to teach them to fix a fuse.


1 comment:

  1. Kochi took the picture in 1974 summer while visiting Mumbai in Bashyam/Lakshmi's Santacruz house!!!!

    ReplyDelete