I grew up in Delhi in the 1970's, living only a short walk from Athai
and Athimber's home, so we met many times that decade and into the
mid-80's. We had so many good times together that it is really
impossible to catalogue them all. But the overall sense we
had was Athai's home was a bit of refuge from the harum-scarum at home.
I remember Athai, as many others have, as being slightly above the
world, perhaps levitating just one millimeter above, in her own private
zone of happiness: she does not share my father's short temper. She also
has a fondness for flowers, which meant that
we would frequently go on trips in Athimber's car to gardens all over
Delhi. I still have a great love of flowers from those early days.
I remember also a long car trip we took in 1975 to Mussoorie when Arvind
was just a year or so old. We walked in pine-scented forests and stayed
with a relative in the IAS training quarters there (I think). It was
one of my first trips to the mountains that
evoked in me a great love for the snow-capped peaks.
As she turns 75, a landmark birthday, I wish her many more years of contentment and happiness. And thank you for everything.

No comments:
Post a Comment